Patch for system tray layouting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jun 15 21:32:19 CEST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008, Bernhard wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I can't say anything about your patch in generally because I'm just not
> > familiar with the internals of KDE yet ... but (and I don't know if it's
> > your fault) why the hell is the size of the systray icons hardcoded??

short answer: the fd.o sys tray spec is really bad. it was ok for the time it
was invented (kde1), but we've really outgrown it.

> > Shouldn't there be a global setting for the icon size?

in KDE there is. or at least, the icon size is set by the KSystemTrayIcon
class.

> the problem is, among the nastiness of the systray that the mini windows
> that rapresent systray icons are 22x22, no matter what and we can't do
> nothing about that

actually, the problem is even worse than that =/

in KDE, our icons are 22x22. but the systray spec itself says nothing about
that. in fact, i know of at least one gtk+ app that puts a widget into the
systray that contains a horizontal layout that contains an icon and a text
label! this thing can easily be 50-100px wide.

this is why i eventually re-wrote kicker's sytray layouting to allow items to
span multiple rows and take that into consideration when doing layouts.

the systray spec sucks so badly, in so many ways. it makes me cry every time i
look at it. =)