Plasma + ZUI + virtual desktops

Matija Šuklje matija.suklje at rutka.net
Mon Jun 9 10:44:16 CEST 2008

Dne ponedeljek 9. junija 2008 je Aaron J. Seigo napisal(a):
> On Sunday 08 June 2008, Matija Šuklje wrote:
> > > this essentially works in 4.1...
> >
> > Yes, but the ZUI is still a bit quirky in 4.1, isn't it? Anyway, from
> > what
>
> a lot better than it was in 4.0.

Never doubted about that ;)

> nope. forget about "stickyness", it's all about grouping into activities.
> trying to manage individual items per-virtual desktop and combine that with
> zooming, activities, compositing window managers showing multiple desktops,
> etc... it's really not worth it.
>
> if you want something to follow you around, that's what panels are for. but
> we're not going to around mixing concepts, nor do i think it's even
> necessary to. the overwhelming number of imaginable use cases are covered
> by this design, it keeps the code in a state that is potentially
> maintainable, etc.

That's OK. As long as a group of Plasmoids (in the ZUI) is bound to a virtual
desktop and not "sticky", I'm happy.

I know there'll be some old concepts that users will have to forget and some
new ones that they'll have to learn anew — and as long as the progress is in
the right direction (and it looks like this is the case!), it's good :]

> > Oh, BTW, I remember reading once (on KDE Planet?) that it will be
> > possible in 4.2 to have the panel show on some of the desktops (or
> > groups) and not on others. Is that true?
>
> doubtful. maybe in the distant (>2 releases?) future. this is one of those
> things that leads to horrible amounts of configuration interface.

I can also live without it ...it's just that I thought I read somehere about
it.

> translations count as patches =)

Sweet :]

Cheers,
Matija

P.S. Heh, who would have thought that out of Slicker and SuperKaramba
something like this would evolve! :)

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje at rutka.net