Plasma + ZUI + virtual desktops

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:53:00 CEST 2008

On Sunday 08 June 2008 21:00:50 Matija Šuklje wrote:
> Hullo,
>
> I know Plasma is being redesigned for 4.2 and that not all features
> are implemented yet and this is exactly why I write here — to beat
> the iron while it's still hot.
>
> I heavily make use of virtual desktops and order them by tasks (and
> I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one). I know a similar feat is being
> done by the Plasma ZUI and its groups of Plasmoids and I can barely
> wait to use that! But what I'm hope won't go away is to be able to
> tell a Plasmoid (like SuperKaramba themes in 3.x) that it should
> reside only on one desktop.
>
> User case:
> * desktop 1: always running several sessions of Konsole (+ admin
> Plasmoids) * desktop 2: net browsing
> * desktop 4 and 5: for other use (and various Plasmoids depending on
> current usage)
> * desktop 3: PIM (Kontact and some related Plasmoids)
> * desktop 6: Amarok (+ maybe some related Plasmoids)
>
> The ZUI and the Plasmoid groups are a great idea ...but I'd also like
> to be still able to either link a specific group to a specific
> desktop or even to have the ZUI take into account that not all
> Plasmoid (groups) are sticky. I don't think these two approaches (ZUI
> vs. virtual desktops) are necessarily cancling each other out.
>

> cheers,
> Matija Šuklje
>
> P.S. I'm new on this mailing list and I hope I haven't broken any
> internal netiquette with this e-mail.
> P.P.S. Annma told me to subscribe here, because I couldn't get an
> answer to the above question on #kde

Hello Matija,

you could get an answer by looking at the related techbase article:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/ZUI

I'm not sure I understand your concern, though, because you seem to
answer it yourself already. What else could grouping of plasmoids mean,
than that the plasmoids of a group are specific to an activity (or
virtual desktop or ZUI, whatever your terminology is)?

I hope that helps.

michael