[Icon Plasmoid] Provide a generic plasmoid class for icon based plasmoid

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 19:19:52 CEST 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008, Loïc Marteau wrote:
> On 6/2/08, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > plasma::square is not really good, because when using a vertical panel it
> > becomes really big and the square things will become really huge and you
> > would end up with like the kmenu that takes a quarter of the panel
> > height. i think it would be needed something more like what is in the
> > kickoff applet
> > now, even if a bit less intuitive. when it's in an horizontal panel the
> > width
> > can't be more than the height (but height can be more than width)
> > and the opposite in a vertical panel
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Marco Martin
>
> Yes that's what I said a bit further. This result to have a more
> complicated code if we think that this problem with big panel isn't
> acceptable (but who really want big panel ?).
if the panel is vertical it pretty much has to be big
> So what is the solution ? (I don't have personal opinion for this).
> - keep this code and don't care of big panel problem
> - Adapt plasma:square related code in the core of plasma and keep this code
> in icon based plasmoid
> - add a special constructor or method at Plasma:Icon as proposed by Aaron
> (can this solution be adapted to deal with big panel issue ?)
> - use a generic virtual class

mabe i would add another aspect ratio mode something like
Plasma::KeepIntoSquare (or some better name) that bahaves like the kickoff
applet now (square would remain square for applets that really need that,
like our old friend analog clock)

Cheers,
Marco MArtin