kde-look GHNS Install Plasma Widgets workaround proposal for 4.1

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 17:54:52 CEST 2008

I've noticed several reports of problems installing Plasma widgets via GHNS.  As it is most (maybe all) of the listed widgets from kde-look.org are C++ Plasmoids. I know we had some discussion about nomenclature here (Widgets vs Plasmoids).

Could a separate category (or sub-category) be created on kde-look.org for "Plasma Widgets" or some such (i.e. widgets that don't require compiling)?   The GHNS feed could be tied to that category instead of the Plasmoids category.  Its not full moderation, but it at least allows for some widget writer self-moderation till then.  The occasional miscategorized kde-look submissions may show up but those could be sorted through based on user feedback on kde-look ("Hey widget-writer dude, your uber-cool widget doesn't install.").

I guess this is more directed at Frank but it seemed worthwhile to surface here as well for input.  If it's not too much trouble to do it would mostly resolve the problem for all users.  I think Frank's on this list but if not and if this seems a reasonable solution I'll forward it to Frank?

Hope this helps,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake