Plugins: Use Qt plugin art. or XML?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 17 19:45:54 CEST 2008

On Thursday 17 July 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2008 00:28:17 Kelly Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Alex Merry <huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > I don't particularly want to include Amarok 1.x support, because trying
> > > to support dcop is just needless complication IMO, given that Amarok 2
> > > is due out
> > > in a couple of months.
> >
> > How ironic.  I started looking into this specifically because I wanted
> > something that worked with Amarok 1.x ;)
>
> How would you implement that?  Linking against KDE 3 libs is just going to
> be a nasty mess, so I think that only leaves calling the dcop executable.

libDCOP.so only requires libqt; it would probably be quite feasible to build
it against Qt4 with a little bit of porting work and voila: dcop in qt4.

or one might even be able to use dcop.c:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/dcop/dcopc.c?view=log

so you should be able to do this without any qt3, let alone kde3.