design documentation

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 16:52:28 CEST 2008

hi all..

i've created a new directory in svn:

	kdebase/workspace/plasma/design

in there we will host plain text design documents written in "markdown". i
will be working on integrating this with the website shortly.

the documents should not:

* be used for UI design processes (e.g. "What should kickoff look like?")

* replicate the apidox (they should be slightly higher level than that)

* turn into developer tutorials (though they will often be a good basis for
developer tutorials, which should appear on techbase).

for UI design processes, i'd like to see us create an area in the Plasma devel
wiki (http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/). the wiki is almost certainly
a better workflow for those who we will want/need to work on these things.

the design documents in svn should:

* cover structure and design decisions within libplasma and the plasma
applications

* cover one topic per file (the first one i've done in there is on wallpapers)

* note when the design as documented was introduced and other useful details

* be short as possible, though no shorter =)

going forward, i'd like to see us all document the design decisions we are
making in libplasma and the plasma desktop binary in there. i don't think we
need to cover the design and structure of every applet, dataengine, etc, just
core technology.

the goal is to leave a legacy of documents that people building on top of
plasma or working on the inner parts of plasma can reference before diving
into the code.

comments, thoughts?