Plugins: Use Qt plugin art. or XML?

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 20:26:03 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008 18:37:16 Kelly Miller wrote:
> I imagine it's obvious here, but what I'm trying to do is design an applet
> that can be easily added to, so that we don't end up in the situation we
> have been in before (where there are multiple different now playing applets
> because each one supported different media players).

That's the point of the nowplaying data engine.  It should abstract away media
players.  I'm thinking of separating out the actual media player interaction
into a library (it shouldn't be too difficult to do, since I've designed it
with that in mind from the start).  Then new media players could be
implemented as plugins, and this could be shared with the now listening plugin
in Kopete, for example.

The Plasma Way (TM) is to use data engines for abstraction, rather than
putting this stuff into a plasmoid.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org