Data Engines [WAS: KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/dataengines/nowplaying]

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 14 19:51:53 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Jason Stubbs wrote:
> But! If the above is correct, I wonder if it is not possible to make it so
> that a an applet can (only?) request a list of data engines that report
> "FOO" data. In the case of "now playing", each data engine (for each
> player) could report data such as:

this would expose to the visualization the implementation detail that there
are N different sources of data being agregated. in this case, there wasn't
even a change in the dataengine's exported set of sources (which is the whole
point of dataengines).

in the case of weather, which is the same concept, the engine itself supports
plugings and things are agregated in the dataengine that the visualization
interacts with.

as for backporting the change, since this can't interfere with amarok1 (which
used dcop, and not dbus) and that amarok2 is evolving software that hasn't
seen a final release, i think it makes sense to backport. as it's not critical
for 4.1.0, we should wait until that's out the door and do it for 4.1.1.