Adding a 'X-Plasma-MainScript' entry to plasmoid metadata.desktop files?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 3 13:20:06 CEST 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Richard Dale wrote:
> 2008/7/2 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > the latter is *probably* the better of the two options from the user's
> > POV but
> > is worse from a performance POV.
>
> Yes, I think having configurable 'top thing' to load at start is a pretty
> general requirement, not just for scripting. For example, the name of a C++
> executable or a C# .dll might not be named 'main'.

but it can be. and personally i favour standardization over random flexibility.
in the case of the ruby stuff, i do understand your design decision (it's very
non-random flexibility =)

> Really for Ruby the name 'clock.rb' is needed to know that the main class

yes...

> > anyways, see attached patch. 16 lines of additions, including whitespace;
> > really only 6 lines of interesting code. it's untested (well it compiles
> > ;) but it should work by all intentions.
>
> You're reading it out of KConfigGroup, whereas I was assuming it was coming
> via a KTrader offer. That aspect of the package stuff is confusing - I'm
> not sure when one or the other mechanism is used.

i'll cover this in documentation when i get to writing it =)

> plasmapkg renames
> metadata.desktop on installation, but perhaps you still use if for
> KConfigGroup metadata lookups from your code.

it's metadata.desktop in the package for standardization purposes; we have to
give it a unique name when we copy it to the services registry directory for
KService to find, though. we still keep the original metadata.desktop file with
the package, though, so it can be found and the package easily reconstituted
on the fly as needed (use case for that is sending a plasmoid between two
systems on the fly over the network)

> I'm not sure how people will work on scripting applet code - at the moment
> I have 'tiger/contents/code/main.rb' and work on it in situ. So it matters
> if it is 'main' rather than 'main.rb' for editing with syntax highlighting.

text editors that still rely on extensions for syntax highlighting *sigh* one
day the world will work more sanely ;)

> That gets round the problem of
> plasmapkg installing all your .svn dirs too.

that would mean creating a complete manifest of every file meant to be in the
package for every plasmoid created. while completely plausible, it also seems
like more work that would be nice to avoid and one more thing to get wrong
when creating a plasmoid.