A few issues of porting Google Gadgets to plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 3 06:49:24 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Dong Tiger wrote:
> > adopt DXS, i doubt that's realistic. the easiest thing to do would
> > probably be
> > to extend the capabilities of the "Install New Widgets" button to allow
> > additional mechanisms to get widgets.
>
> Agree that "Install New Widgets" should be able to handle this. But I still
> feel it will be convenient to be able to ask plasma to load a gadget. It

ah, you mean at runtime have it do so from an external app. interestingly
enough, this just came up earlier today with regards to a long term
replacement system for the systray.

> 3. Before "Install New Widgets" is powerful enough, I still need this to
> let user browse google gadgets in GoogleGadgetsBrowser and install them
> into plasma.

the easiest way would be a d-bus interface. that's on the 4.2 schedule
unforutnately, which puts this in the same category as a more flexible Install
New Widgets. hmm.... maybe we should work on this set of functionality as 4.2
issues (Install New Widgets, add widgets from an external command)

as 4.1 goes into RC mode in less than a week and 4.2 is out in december, this
should hopefully work. in the meantime users can do things a bit manually via
the "Install From File" option in the Add Widgets dialog. not perfect, but
something that works immediately.

> > lot of work, though, depending on how the gadgets library is implemented.
>
> There are two kinds of Google gadgets. One is the iGoogle Gadgts which just
> use html/javascript. The other is Desktop Gadgets which uses self-brewed
> xml and javascript. Plasma::WebContent will only works with the iGoogle
> gadgets.

ah, now i understand the issue. ok, that makes sense then.

> > >  And I don't have much confidence on the quality of QtScript.
> >
> > anything in particular? (it's easier to fix non-vague problems ;)
>
>  I don't mean QtScript is not good. I just mean it's not widely used as
> spidermoney and webkit, especially in the way I use.

that's quite true.

> As of bugs, I just
> filed one that QtScript crashed on this:
>   var a = new Array(); a.splice(0, 0, 'a');

oi! thanks for filing it (on behalf of the Trolls =)