KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/applets/systemtray

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jul 1 15:59:21 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 05:14:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>   On Monday 30 June 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > SVN commit 826594 by sebas:
> >
> > Only set width or height minima, so the systray expands only in
> > the expandable direction. minimum width and height are 22 in
> > those cases. This patch makes it possible to shrink the systray
> >  -- and with it the whole panel -- again, once it has had more
> > rows. This wasn't possible after r826397.
>
> ah, makes sense. and it explains why no minimum size was being set at all,
> i bet: the original code was probably trying to prevent this bug, which
> introduced the one i fixed (which re-introduced this one)
>
> good job on fixing it without reintroducing the other problem.
>
> > This makes the whole panel not shrink below 22. If we make that
> > possible (by not setting the min height to 22), the systray just
> > vanishes when the panel gets smaller. Not sure which situation I
> > prefer, ideas?
>
> i think making the panel not shrinkable to less than 22px if the systray is
> just fine; having it disappear altogether is a bit odd and bug-like imho.
>
> Sauer noted in a BR at one point that he'd played with letting icons shrink
> down to 16px. if that's so, then that would be great and we can pin the
> minimum size of a panel to 16px at that point.
>
> i'm ok with 22px though.
>
> systray sucks =)

If we can make icons shrink, that'd be cool. I find 22px as a limitation too
much, frankly.

The thing is that you *can* make the panel smaller than 22px, but below 22px
you just start shifting the whole panel offscreen (which actually isn't too
bad for 2 or three px), but then it gets ugly quickly. So having that down to
16 would be awesome.

I know I shouldn't have looked into systray.cpp ;)
--
sebas