DataEngine support for ScriptEngine

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 22 19:15:50 CET 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2008 18:01:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > one of the things i wanted to avoid was forcing people to create
> > subclasses in javascript, for instance.
>
> I made the Kross script engine so that ScriptEngine has a sub class in C++
> (KrossDataEngine attached, needs some cleaning...) that it returns which
> calls python functions. So scripts don't need to create subclasses.

right, so the difference is between the ScriptEngine being an actual adaptor
versus providing an IsA DataEngine (or Applet, or Runner) class that serves
as the go-between adaptor.

i'd sooner just go with the pure adaptor model as it cuts out the middle man
completely. it also allows us to adjust when and how calls into the script
component are made inside DataEngine itself. this is useful because then we
don't have to adjust every single ScriptEngine implementation should we want
to adjust some internal pattern or algorithm; we can do it centrally.

the ScriptEngine then provides appropriate bindings to the necessary bits and
nobbles in libplasma.

ok, i'm off to the coffee house where i can get away from my phone and
concentrate on re-working ScriptEngine a bit. =)