Applets - to maintain aspect ratio, or not?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 17:50:53 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> Lots and lots of people have told me this is (a) annoying,

if these people actually sat down with the various applets and thought about
future use cases as well (yes, i know, two things people rarely do; that's
why we're here and they aren't) they'd realize that for while there are few
applets for which maintaining aspect ratio is a real deal breaker (the
taskbar is one, btw) there are *many* for which not maintaining the aspect
ratio is not really even an option (analog clock, power manager, image
viewer, icons and comics to name five obvious ones; i stop at five only to
preserve some brevity here ;)

perhaps what we need in Applet is a setPreserveAspectRatio method that
defaults to true which lets the applet determine what the default resize
behaviour is.

there is no one size fits all here and i really don't want to make the user
determine which is which all the time on their own. in this case, Ctrl would
be used to override this setting (so free resize for aspect constrained
applets and aspect preserving resize for free resize applets).

> (b) not easily discoverable and

i have a patch that adds tooltips using QGraphicsItem::setTooltip to the
buttons but the tooltips suck ass and the Plasma tooltip just isn't
appropriate for this either. but making it discoverable is not a problem.

> (c) completely inconsistent with just about every other
> gui element (think windows, for example).

that's never stopped us in plasma before ;) if our goal was to be consistent
with every other gui element, we'd not being trying to do anything new.
obviously, breaking with 'tradition' for no good reason isn't good, but it
alone is not a good enough reason.