Applets - to maintain aspect ratio, or not?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 13:18:39 CET 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008 13:12:10 Alex Merry wrote:
> Currently, resizing plasma widgets (are we calling them widgets or applets
> now?) by default maintains aspect ratio.  If you want to freely resize
> them, you have to know the "magic" key of CTRL.
>
> Lots and lots of people have told me this is (a) annoying, (b) not easily
> discoverable and (c) completely inconsistent with just about every other
> gui element (think windows, for example).
>
> So what do we think about making it freely resizable by default, and having
> a magic key (probably ALT for consistency with KOffice) to maintain aspect
> ratio?

Given that 'in theory' applets should be able to maintain a sensible aspect
ratio, I'm for keep-aspect as default when resizing. I played around a bit,
and often I resize applets. Then, in case the aspect ration gets screwed
(which is really a bug in the applet), I press CTRL and change that as well.

I'm not strongly concerned about it, whatever works best for the casual user
should be default though. (D'oh!)
--
sebas