Toolbox Brainstorming

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 6 21:25:45 CET 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Chani wrote:
> > > in the panel this would also unlock something like applet handles in
> > > all panels so it's possible to rearrange applets also in the panels.
> >
> > that's exactxly the plan for the panel toolbox, yes =)
>
> oh yeah... panel toolbox... yes, someday we'll actually be able to
> configure that beast ;) btw, did you ever see the mockup fonz did? I like
> that one.

yeah, that mockup was the basis/result of a conversation we had on the matter
on irc a couple weeks back...

> I notice somehere else in this thread there's mention of hiding the toolbox
> when it has nothing to show. it seems to me that it should *never* have
> nothing to show; I think that the lock/unlock action belongs in there.
> although I do have two questions about that:
> does locking applets apply to all containments (desktop and panel), or just
> the current one?

all of them; we considered doing it per-containment, but that's proably not
what people usually want.

> should configuration be allowed when they're locked?

yes, but not when kiosk'd.

> also, if the toolbox stays glued to the corner, I forsee problems when
> panels are movable. what's the point of a toolbox that's buried under a
> panel? I don't know how to deal with that nicely.

QDesktopWidget provides a availableGeometry method for exactly that purpose.