Toolbox Brainstorming

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 17:44:29 CET 2008

On Friday 04 January 2008 23:05:32 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2008, Craig Duquette wrote:
> > returns. I think this is a cleaner layout. I prefer it to be shown within
> > the geometry of the panel instead of popping out because the user
> > knows where the panel is located.. it's always there.
>
> and how exactly would this work with multiple containments? multiple
> screens? or for panel specific actions? what about when there is no
> panel[1]?
>
> we do plan on putting a toolbox on the panel ... but for the panel.
>

> [1] yes, plasma is designed to allow that; and i know people who are using
> it that way even

I'm partecipating in this brainstorming with some code. =)

While I'm not sure if the toolbox should be in the panel or outside of it
(although I'm propending a little more for the latter), I've done patches to
fix some of the annoyances I've stumpled upon lately.

* Make the animations faster, they're way too slow now, and make the buttons
fully disappear behind the edge of the screen, instead of randomly "just
disappearing" in the middle of the animation. (patch 0002)

* Minimize the toolbox if it has no tools to show. Looks broken else. (patch
0004)

the other two are not really about the toolbox, and are almost one-liners, but
I'm taking the occasion of this mail to post them anyway, if someone wants to
have a look. There's a little summary into all of the patches.

After these 4 patches, Plasma works much more smoothly in the day-to-day usage
(at least for me). =)
And the toolbox is much better.

The code is still a bit ugly and couldn't do all of what I wanted, but Phase
does not allow me to do that in different ways. Patches are coming for it
too.

Ok to commit?

Bye,
-Riccardo

P.S. something that doesn't make me happy is it not having an antialiased
border when in "normal" state. Anyone has clues on how to sanely do it?
setClipping is obviously not anthialiased.
--
GPG key:
3D0F6376