Toolbox Brainstorming

pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sat Jan 5 20:22:54 CET 2008

A Saturday 05 January 2008 18:58:46, Aaron J. Seigo escreveu:
> On Saturday 05 January 2008, pinheiro wrote:
> > A Saturday 05 January 2008 02:21:44, Craig Duquette escreveu:
> >
> > I will have to agrea with Craig on this one, To me it looks a bit to
> > visible there (a "on your face"), just my personal feeling.
>
> what about it is too visible? i'm really trying to get this one better
> defined in my head.
>
> on my desktop it takes 0.07% of my screen pixels. (yes, 0.07%, not .7% or
> 7%) on my laptop it takes 0.1% of the pixels of my screen.
> on a 800x600 screen it would take 0.2% of the screen pixels.
>
> it doesn't interfere with windows or applets.
>
> so ... is it that the icon is too bright? (we could grey it out when not
> activated, though it would be good to make it at least someone noticeable)
>
> is it that you're just not used to it?
>
> perhaps it would be better to revisit this in a month once everyone has had
> a chance to use it for a while.

duno cant put my finguer on it, but it does look out of place, maybe in a
corner centric dektop we could make it visualy work, with the visual tools on
screen groing from the corners. (not big fan of those type of solutions btw)
but i get the feeling... humm this dosent belong here.

its like this, if you put it in the corner wen you have a botom panel you
ubalnce the screen there nothing in the other side to balance it. so it draws
alot of atention to itself.
Atention as I only used it once or twice,  what im saying is just based on
visual impression i get form seeing it, but i gess that is an important part
to, frist impressions do mater.
This are just my feelings on the subjec. (as always in my case 90% looks)

> > > So that's why I wanted to brainstorm, the toolbox should remain, I just
> > > don't need a constant reminder its there. Hence why my contribution to
> > > plasma has been trying to hide/shrink the toolbox :P and why I'm
> > > brainstorming on a way to make it stand out less.
> >
> > My personal opinion is that it should be in the pannel.
>
> again, this just doesn't work for either the concept of containments (what
> happens when zoomed out and you can see multiple desktop containments? to
> name one issue) and means that one has to travel to the panel to change
> someone on a desktop which is pretty non-intuitive and, unless you are
> using a pen based devices, laborious.

Humm ... that wouldnt be so hard to make visualy work imagine that at the
right normal zoom aspect raio it would nicely fit in the pannel but in other
zoom level it would detatched from the pannel and apear in the same screen
wise position were it stood in the pannel ... Just an idea I realy dont know
exctly the amount of sutf we can do any way so i might be missing alot of
issues.

--

core oxygen icon designer