Toolbox Brainstorming

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 5 19:50:01 CET 2008

On Saturday 05 January 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> ok, i partecipate to the storm :)

;)

> :) one toolbox in the panel (only one) that is a regular plasmoid, when

which panel? there can be many and there is no concept of "main panel"
 in plasma (in part to avoid people writing assumptions into their code that
it exists when it's valid to have a panel-less plasma; in part because
determining which is the "main" panel is a crapshoot as i learned in kicker
days: only the user really knows)

> pressed all the toolbox icons in each containment appears and works as
> today.

this would seriously suck for multiscreen, though be manageable for pen based
devices. the non-locality of it would be disturbing though; generally one
wants UI elements associated clearly with what they modify.

> in the panel this would also unlock something like applet handles in
> all panels so it's possible to rearrange applets also in the panels.

that's exactxly the plan for the panel toolbox, yes =)

> if the user removed the toolbox plasmoid all the toolbox icons are
> displayed in each containment like today.

hm.. that would require lots of special casing and communicating between
containments. that sort of hacking in the code makes me very ... hesitant as
it quicky leads to a very ugly code base.