making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 29 16:43:53 CET 2008

On Friday 29 February 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 15:20:13 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > So if the icon could become bigger when selected, just a tiny bit and the
> > text becomes bold the item could wave at the user and say: "Hello, I'm
> > selected!".
>
> Patch attached that does a quick-hack version of this.
>
> No screenshot, because that doesn't capture the effect of increasing the
> icons by 4px on hover.

couple comments:

* bold fonts are not that different than non-bold fonts on some systems and
some type faces, making this change nearly non-visible for some people =/
this is the problem i ran into with this approach previously. it's probably
not unfixable, but it would be good to see how this works out on such
systems.

* i know it's just a quick hack patch, but the larger icon is blurred due to
resizing and therefore looks pretty bad. i would imagine a non-quick-hack
patch would address this issue

* it does rely on movement between the itme .. just looking at the menu
without movement doesn't immediatly make it clear which item is the current
one (again, a problem i ran into when taking this approach pre-4.0)

so now we have three options. personally, i like the elegance of not changing
colours and drawing selection rects. making it a bit more clear what item is
selected would probably need to happen to make this a real contender though.