making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Fri Feb 29 16:10:53 CET 2008

On Freitag, 29. Februar 2008, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 15:20:13 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > So if the icon could become bigger when selected, just a tiny bit and the
> > text becomes bold the item could wave at the user and say: "Hello, I'm
> > selected!".
>
> Patch attached that does a quick-hack version of this.
>
> No screenshot, because that doesn't capture the effect of increasing the
> icons by 4px on hover.

I think this does the best job because:

- because its signal is actively "speaking" to the user, a far more subtle
effect achieves the same, if not a better effect than a clunky colour-bar.
- it highlights only the active items (icon + text) and not a whole lot of
empty space, i.e. its signal is more precise than having to use a big
colour-bar because of having to compensate for only using a passive signal.
- there is no issue with highlighting- vs icon-colour
- there are no issues regarding margins around icons because the background is
not painted in a different colour.
- less code :)

Sven