making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 23:08:12 CET 2008

> > Ah, now we are on the same page!  All my arguments except the
> > not-selecting-the-selected-icon one are aesthetic ones.  I should have
> > pointed that out at the beginning, but I'll do that now: "I believe full
> > width selections are more aesthetically pleassing because..."
>
> i'd like to see the more aesthetically pleasing full width implementation
> then. i've noted several issues that have not been successfully addressed.
> and yes, for the record, i find that the selections in openSUSE's kde3
> kickoff look pretty lame.

Dear [insert higher power], all you need is a pretty mockup?  Seriously, I
thought you thought you had a fundamental design argument, not something as
high level as "it's not pretty enough".  (Because if it comes down to
aethetics, I think the variable width highlight is (on top of everything else
I've said) just plain ugly. The inconsistency makes me twitch.)

So what now?  Pass our request on to the Oxygen people and see what they come
up with?  Ruphy, maybe you can pass this on to the artists and also come up
with some ideas yourself?

BTW, why are we using that blue color for the highlight?  I thought it was
part of the theme, but apparently it isn't themable (or just isn't programmed
that way -- yet).  There *are* more neutral colors we could use, although
ultimately I think it should be up to the style.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project & HCI Working Group