making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 22:51:27 CET 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Jamboarder wrote:
> 1. If we're worried about how the icons look against the selection, it
> might be worth considering that there are already many color schemes
> shipped with KDE4 with a variety of colors upon which the icons sit.  Some

yes. there are all sorts of silly things people do, including us. i'm not sure
that repeating sillyness just because it's been done before makes much sense
though. =)

> 2. The original usability study on Kickoff was done with a full width
> selection. Do we really understand what we may be surrendering/gaining as
> we diverge from that?

afaik selection width was never measured / studied in this research. if
someone knows otherwise, i'd be interested.

(honestly: i think there's a way to make full width selections look nice
without the downsides of simply extending the width of the current ones. i'm
not prepared to write it myself, and i'm really not prepared to simply make
full width selections that look like ass. if people want them, let's see
something that looks sexy and doesn't draw attention to the contentless area.
it is possible (c.f. the iphone))