making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 18:37:52 CET 2008

From: Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste at kde.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:26:35 AM

sounds
like
the
beginning
of

bad
bar
joke).

Ok, I'll chime in, for what it's worth (even if it is painfully prolonging this discussion).  The full width selection (or at least the everything-to-the-right-of-the-icon selection) seems fine to me for a couple reasons:

1. If we're worried about how the icons look against the selection, it might be worth considering that there are already many color schemes shipped with KDE4 with a variety of colors upon which the icons sit.  Some will look good to some and not to others.  It's also done in menus in many, if not most, apps (I know, kickoff's a launcher not a menu).  I concede that there may well be colors against which the icons will look universally bad.  Not sure if this is the case here yet.

2. The original usability study on Kickoff was done with a full width selection. Do we really understand what we may be surrendering/gaining as we diverge from that? Goodness knows I'm not suggesting that the original kickoff is sacred in whole or in part. My own opinion, though, is that the size of selection rect is basic enough to user interaction that it might be worth a few "coffee-house" tests. :-)

All that said, I won't be all that devastated if it ends up remaining as it currently is.

I should confess that I'm generally rather more of the persuasion that says make it look good then make it usable (yes I'm look forward to Raptor). Yeah, yeah I know, but hopefully that hasn't terribly tainted my view here.

Hope this helps,
Andrew