making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed Feb 27 17:24:00 CET 2008

2008/2/27 Chani <chanika at gmail.com>:

> > > the rest of the space is not informationally interesting. so ... why
> > > highlight it? especially with an eye catching ocean of colour?
> >
> > If this is true then that arrow on the right side (that tells you if
> there
> > is information below that level) is screen junk and should be removed.
> > can't see you arguing with that because I'm under the impression you are
> > minimalist anyway.
> >
> > However, I think that arrow is an important piece of information that
> let
> > users know the difference between executable applications and
> application
> > sub folders, especially since applications tend to have a generic name
> > (e.g. Drawing or Email) and folders have custom icons (i.e. not a
> generic
> > folder icon) that are similar to application icons.
> >
> > Also, does no one else care, have an option, have a preference, or think
> > this is an issue?  So far this has been a discussion between three
> people,
> > a developer, and artist, and a designer (that sounds like the beginning
> of
> > a bad bar joke).
>
> personally I think it looks nice to not highlight the whole width - but I
> still find myself subconsciously trying to click on the highlighted part,
> not
> just anywhere. kinda like how my mum still double-clicks files half the
> time,
> even though she told me to keep her kde set to single-click.
>
> something I just thought of off the top of my head - would it look nice if
> there were a line connecting the highlighted part to the arrow? they're
> already the same colour, at least in my build...

We can possibly do a bigger and more complex svg arrow, but I think
that stretching the rect to cover the full space at the right of the icon
would be a better compromise.

What do you think of this possibility?
So it won't get over the icon, but still have the same size for any element.

-Riccardo
--
GPG key:
3D0F6376