making kickoff have full-width selection rects (on hover)

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 15:36:50 CET 2008

> > the rest of the space is not informationally interesting. so ... why
> > highlight it? especially with an eye catching ocean of colour?
>
> If this is true then that arrow on the right side (that tells you if there
> is information below that level) is screen junk and should be removed.  I
> can't see you arguing with that because I'm under the impression you are a
> minimalist anyway.
>
> However, I think that arrow is an important piece of information that let
> users know the difference between executable applications and application
> sub folders, especially since applications tend to have a generic name
> (e.g. Drawing or Email) and folders have custom icons (i.e. not a generic
> folder icon) that are similar to application icons.
>
> Also, does no one else care, have an option, have a preference, or think
> this is an issue?  So far this has been a discussion between three people,
> a developer, and artist, and a designer (that sounds like the beginning of
> a bad bar joke).

personally I think it looks nice to not highlight the whole width - but I
still find myself subconsciously trying to click on the highlighted part, not
just anywhere. kinda like how my mum still double-clicks files half the time,
even though she told me to keep her kde set to single-click.

something I just thought of off the top of my head - would it look nice if
there were a line connecting the highlighted part to the arrow? they're
already the same colour, at least in my build...

--
This message brought to you by evyl bananas, and the number 3.
www.chani3.com