Review Request: Fancy-schmancy Kickoff layout tricks for dissident panel placements

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Wed Feb 27 10:03:39 CET 2008

On Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> (^ Yet another argument for click-tabs by default.)  It's one thing if by
> through our arguments we reach a consensus and decide to do alternate
> ordering of the tabs, but I don't want to see us making a bad design
> decision to fix a design problem somewhere else in the interface (what I
> call "band-aids").

While one might be able to define a suitable default order, you won't be able
to fulfill everyones needs, yet this is possible. First of all, I think that
the applications-tab is less important than the history tab, because both
favourites- and history-tab are meant to include everything you use most
often, hence the milage to them should be the shortest. Extend your
favourites and recently used apps to ~10 items and you will see what I mean.

In fact, I would like to be able to separate recently-used apps and docs and
make them two tabs in order to have ~10 items each without the need to
scroll. The applications-tab could become a simple button "all applications"
on the favourites-tab. But that's just my need.

While this does not prove anything about whether I am right or not, it does
prove that you can satisfy everyones needs regarding the tab-order by
enabling the user to re-arrange the tabs. Currently, dragging a tab does
nothing although people are used to being able to re-arrange tabs, e.g. in
browsers, so why not allow the user to re-arrange them?

Sven