Plasma Crash on Startup

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 22 19:18:14 CET 2008

On Friday 22 February 2008, Johannes Schwall wrote:
> So, any idea if this has anything to do with my crashing X? Or how to
> prevent it?

the backtrace isn't overly useful, unfortunately. if you could install
the -debug packages then we will get a good booktrace that we can work with.

however, looking at what is in the backtrace, it *might* be due to a bug in
4.0 (i think a fix was backported for 4.0.1 or 4.0.2?) where the background
renderer would crash if the wallpaper it was looking for wasn't actually
there.

that said ... your install sounds very broken. perhaps try removing all the
kde4 packages and starting again.

> Or any idea why KDE 4 crashes X while KDE 3.5.7 doesn't?

the code bases for the workspace components of KDE 4 and KDE 3 are rather
different (plasma/krunner/kwin4 vs kicker/kdesktop/kwin3).