Plasma Crash on Startup

Johannes Schwall johannes.schwall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 15:13:59 CET 2008

Hi!

After some time just accepting every update for KDE 4 (current stable
version from openSUSE 10.3 with today's updates) while sitting happily
and save in front of 3.5.7 (release 72.6, openSUSE 10.3) I wanted to
try KDE 4 again. Previously, it wasn't a nice experience because every
time I double-cliced on a window to maximize it, it brought X down: it
just crashed.

So, I was hoping to get it running by choosing another video driver
(I'm using the "intel" driver with an onboard 945G chip), but now it's
even worse: Plasma (or "plasma-desktop") crashes on each startup. I
tried chaning the driver to "vga" or "vesa", but this only made
everything slower. The crashes remain. And because of my crashing X it
took me a while to get the debugging report (attached).

So, any idea if this has anything to do with my crashing X? Or how to
prevent it? Or any idea why KDE 4 crashes X while KDE 3.5.7 doesn't?
(I guess that's a question for the kde-devel list.)

So, I just subscribed to plasma-devel, but I already saw that there
are some issues with plasma crashing because of incompatible plugins,
if I understood it correctly. Might be the case here. But then again,
I didn't install anything extra (i.e. from out of the openSUSE
repositories).

Thanks for reading this. And keep up the good work!

Johannes

--
Johannes Schwall, Münster