Where to put an AbstractIconApplet class.

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:51:06 CET 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 17:27:55 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> > I've started on adding device icons to the desktop
>
> do we really want to go down that road? or should we just given
> people the defvice notifier applet and make them start to make the
> transition to the brave new world? my concern is that this will end
> up duplicating a lot of code from the device notifier; it's really
> not very plasma in its approach and may well result in the device
> notifier not becoming what it could/should be on Planar/MediaCenter
> form factors.

Hello everyone, hi Aaron,

I think this is almost the same problem like the one you discussed with
Sven today (maybe yesterday, depending on timezones). I'm following
this list for over a year now and after more than 6000 email messages
I'd say it's still hard for "regular" developers to grasp what plasma
could be.

If we do not develop a clearer vision of where plasma ought to go and to
which developers can cling to, we wil still see bug reports about
icons, systemtrays, kicker-like panels and desktop backgrounds even
after 4.1 or 4.2 is released.

I'm not really sure how I come into play here. I'm not a developer but I
know a thing or two (well, literally :-) about interaction design, so
if perhaps a reading list could help, I'd be willing to compile such a
thing. Interested developers could have a look at what's all the rage
in interaction design then.

Anything else would be fine, too. If I'm up to the task, I'd be glad to
help.

michael