[Kde-bindings] branches/work/kdebindings-smoke2/csharp

Petri Damstén petri.damsten at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:29:08 CET 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 12:27:13 Richard Dale wrote:
> > the goal is NOT to provide a complete set of bindings for scripts to go
> > crazy with. why? because that would make it nearly impossible for
> > *average* people to write things. hell, we may as well ask them to go off
> > and learn a "real" language at that point.

I understand why there have to be easy way to write plasmoids, but I think
qscript and webkit will fill that hole...

When I was testing scripting api with kross plugin I noticed that it was easy
to write runner and dataengine support, since there are not so many classes
to deal with. For applet support I would rather have full api. I think ruby,
python, etc. are as good as C++ for gui programming so why limit them? At
some point you will notice that this new feature would be two lines of code
in C++ but with limited plasma api it's not possible. I know how frustrating
that can be...

> Yes, I agree that is very important, and probably much more important
> than wrapping the complete Plasma C++ api in other languages. However,
> I still feel it is a good idea to have both and will carry on working
> on the Ruby and C# plasma bindings for KDE 4.1.

Hopefully python too...

Petri