Align all applets to a grid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 11 04:27:36 CET 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Chani wrote:
> I find it a bit odd that Containment has so much code specific to either
> panels or desktops. why is it done this way instead of making some kind of
> minimal desktop class to inherit from or something?

that's what Containment is. it would be nice to avoid long inheritance chains,
so Containment contains code for various sorts of specific use cases. it also
avoids people from having to figure out "which class do i inherit from?" and
gives us the possibility of easily repurposing containments of one
Containment::Type to another scenario; e.g. desktop containments ->
medicenter or what-have-you.

it also looks a lot less strange to subclass Containment when the primary
purpose is to be an Applet.

in this specific case, alignment, etc of applets is actually something that is
a fairly generic concept that really does belong to the idea of "groupings of
applets"