refiining runners

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 11:38:56 CET 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> can override. perhaps the priority rating should also be taken into
> consideration alongside relevance for final ranking in the UI?

chatting with ruphy on irc just now it occurred to me we have *another* metric
that is being ignored in the rating calculation: exact, possible ("fuzzy")
and informational.

perhaps all exact matches first, followed by all informational then all
possible? i put possible last since those are likely to be the bulk.

that's 3 values to combine into one ranking thus far ... will have to play
with this =)

ah, another thing is that many runners check and only do anything if there are
3 or more letters in the search term. instead of running them only to come
back, maybe we should allow runners to define some parameters that would
short-curcuit their being run at all until they are met. this feels like a
premature optimization at this point in time, but might be useful down the
road...