multiple desktops and background painting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 03:03:00 CET 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Chani wrote:
> I'd just like to make it clear that I think it would be kinda silly to
> offer wallpaper-per-virtual-desktop instead of
> containment-per-virtual-desktop; if people have one desktop containment for
> each virtual desktop, they can set each to its own wallpaper.

these are two different use cases. remember that a Containment has two primary
purposes:

a) to contain a collection of plasmoids
b) to paint a background behind them

it is fully valid to want the same plasmoids on all your virtual desktops
(using virtual desktops to organize your windows only) but different
backgrounds. (b')

it's also valid to want the same background but different sets of widgets per
desktop. (a')

it's also valid to want different backgrounds and different sets of widgets
per desktop. (a'b')

i'm trying to find a way to offer b' right now in a way that works for
composition managers (no other desktop wallpaper system do this properly
right now, btw).

the neat thing is that the proposed solution also allows for a' and a'b' with
a very small bit more work.

> personally I'm hoping to use one containment for every two virtual
> desktops, once we have more stuff implemented :)

sure, so this is a sort of a'b' but with some containments appearing on more
than one desktop ... and if someone wants different wallpapers?