Focus handling

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 28 20:30:51 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008, Petri Damstén wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2008 11:03:01 Chani wrote:
> > why this is happening:
> > the panel view refuses to get focus so that you can do stuff like
> > clicking on the taskbar without your window losing focus. the desktop
> > view does no such thing.
>
> So I guess one applet on a desktop cannot refuse accepting focus?

a widget can set their focus policy, but i'm going to be that would just
transfer it to the desktop as a whole.

> > this is gonna make keyboard shortcuts iiinteresting, I bet :P
> > so, I'd suggest not relying on the window keeping focus. maybe you can
> > find some other way to do this? maybe it could just copy them and let the
> > user paste?
>
> Personally I think it's much less usable if user has to paste it. It could
> be like this when it's on a desktop and it propably should be configurable,
> there is also some window parameters in XSendEvent if I get last focused
> window somewhere... Well I have to examine these possibilities.

i was just about to suggest that you can ask KWindowSystem for the stacking
order of windows and get the top most window. the pager uses this to figure
out how to draw the windows, for instance.