API review breakages

Anne-Marie Mahfouf annemarie.mahfouf at free.fr
Thu Apr 24 12:01:35 CEST 2008

Hi,

As you know, we're changing API following the Tokamak1 techbase page (1).
We're doing our best to do that sanely:
- one commit per change, the log indicates the change
- for signals, I indicated SIGNAL in the log and tried to change them in
kdebase, extragear and plauground
- all compile changes are also fixed in extragear and playground, Laurent
Montel usually fixes them way faster than me ;)

Unfortunately we're going to have other more subtle breakages like for example
bool updateSource() -> updateSourceEvent(). Reviewing the API is not a matter
of blindly replacing strings by another string...
updateSource() is reimplemented in some engines (like the weather engine) and
I did not fixe those as I fear I can even break further. It builds but Shawn
said it's broken.
Should I try getting deeper into that or should the engines maintainers be
aware that they'll have to fix stuff as well? Probably on Saturday evening
it'll be all finished, considering that Alexis and me will work on it on
Saturday, Europe timezone.

Would adding the svn revision on the techbase page help? (I'll do it if so).

Anne-Marie

(1) http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Plasma/Tokamak1