Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:32:45 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > so a strange hack like PanelSvg is really needed unfortunately, because
> > it's the only way to make a scalable think to look decent and it has 9
>
> I have nothing against PanelSvg - it truly does miracles :)
>
> I'm just saying that it still doesn't provide us everything we want.
>
> The ideal (for developers) thing would be to make the L&F pluggable like
> the real widgets do (it seams like that every themable widget in the
> past went from pixmap based themes to pluggable styles).
>
> On the other hand, it would make the life of theme designers a living hell
> unless we provide a couple of standard pretty engines (including the
> compatibility engine for the current themes)
>
> I have no idea what the best way is - this is the reason I wanted to
> start a discussion about it.

so making themes libraries that draws the widgets with c++ code?
i don't think it would be less a nightmare, qstyles usually end up of being
4000+ lines of code :(
at tokamak bibr talked about a possible future xml specification for
qgraphicwidgets themes that gets compiled into c++, it could be an
interesting thing, let's see how it evolves :)
the real disadvantage of svgs is that they can't be colored in a sane way, so
the color would be hardcoded (maybe not necessarily a bad thing)
probably the more needed thing it's good documentation by expanding the wiki
page that exists already and consistence between prefixes and hints

Cheers,
Marco Martin