Plasma Themes (for all plasma devs)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Apr 19 14:32:46 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> - more and more rendering /hints/ in the SVG files.

why do you consider this a problem? i think this is a very nice and elegant
solution as it is self-contained within the svg and doesn't require coding.

> - inconsistency between hints - hint-stretch-borders and hint-tile-center
>   (one hint is for turning on the stretching, and the other one is for
>   switching it off)

an "API review" of these would indeed be nice. not critical, per say, but
would a decent use of time imho.

> - more and more groups in SVG file (81 different groups for panel - quoting
>   Nuno on this one)

i think 81 is a bit much. Nuno tends to go for the moon on these things, which
is good as it keeps stretching us, but we also need to provide some breaks
for him sometimes ;) 9 items per edge is 36 ... forget shadows, etc. 36 is
still large, but the strategy is:

we support simpler themes with fewer elements in them by falling back,
allowing those who care to to create complex themes full of elements and
those who don't to create simpler themes with minimal numbers of elements.

> - more and more prefixes

this is due, at least in part, to the oddness of trying to get geometry
perfect. i honestly haven't seen the need for all of this and am somewhat
relying on the artists to give decent direction.

> And still, there is so much that can not be done with this ever-growing
> implementation of themes.

what in particular are you considering?

> In our last discussion on this topic, I was generally on the 'it is just ok
> the way it is now' side because I thought that we will not wish for the
> more advanced themes.
>
> Now, when I see that we will have 81 different groups only for the panel's
> background, I have to ask whether we can do this in a more elegant way.

suggestions?

i'm completely against going for anything that requires writing code because
that locks out virtually all designers. if we're edging towards ever greater
complexity so that we will find ourselves in a very awkward situation down
the line, then the artists need to stop themselves, sit down and FORCE
themselves to answer hard questions with good answers.

i do see a tendency amongst the artists to just come up with answers to the
obvious question without actually stepping back, looking for the root
question and then coming up with the hard answers. perhaps it's a discipline
not common among them as the whole "making efficient art for runtime systems"
is pretty niche.