Plasma User Types

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sat Apr 12 15:41:22 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 09:29:21 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > The use scenario is displaying a picture.  The use case is using the
> > hammer and putting a nail in the wall so you can mount the picture on
> > it.  The environment is a college dormitory which could have either
> > cinder block or dry composite walls.
> >
> > Given a different environment, maybe a hammer isn't available and you
> > only have to work with sticky tacks.  That probably happens more
> > often in an environment like a dormitory than a house.  Of maybe you
> > don't have a ladder because you tend to be a tall person.  Or since
> > you are young, you can pick up the 20 Kilo frame much easier than a
> > little old lady.
> >
> > All of these factors are going to experience of the picture because
> > part of the experience is putting it on display.  Now, if you are a
> > college poster manufacturer and 80% of your sales are from college
> > kids, you probably aren't going to worry about how the 1% sales of
> > little old ladies who can't pick up 20 kilos and don't have a ladder
> > are attempting to display your product. Anything you might do to
> > accomodate that 1% customer base might effect your other customers
> > and cause you to loose sales from your 80% customer base.
> >
> > That is why come up with user groups, types, scenarios, and cases.
> > To really understand who is using our product, how, and why.  That
> > way, we can improve the product, reach out to customers we want to
> > include, and understand when we make a change to accomodate one user
> > type, how it will effect other user types.
> >
> > Sure, *anyone* can purchase the poster and frame and put it up on
> > their wall. But unless the manufacturer had a specific interest in
> > reaching out in to a specific customer base, why would they risk
> > upsetting and losing primary customers?  The manufacturer isn't
> > trying to please *everyone*, just their *primary* customers.
> >
> > Also, to further clarify.  This user group information isn't mine.  I
> > didn't make it up.  This is knowledge which exists within the Plasma
> > project.  All I did was go about collecting it in a scientific way so
> > the Plasma developers and sit down and discuss it so they can make
> > use of it in future development of the product.
> >
> > > I'm not sure I can spark a constructive discussion around that
> > > issue, so I'll just let you guys go on for now, but the important
> > > questions we need to ask ourselves right now, have little to do
> > > with experience or curiosity levels, in my point of view.
> > >
> > > michael
>
> Hi Celeste,
>
> thank you very much for taking the time to answer, also for writing it
> down in a comprehensible way, like I could not have done it.
>
> The only thing I'm still unwilling to accept is, that one has to leave
> the old ladies behind. (how sad is that? :-) A sign of good design is
> that it caters to 100% (which I like to simply refer to as: humans),
> and only if one fails to come up with good design should one try to do
> bad design, that at least appeals to 80%. That's all.

I don't believe in universal usability, but that is simply a position on
philosophy.  Even in voting (a research project I work on in my day job, as
you can imagine it is a big deal in the U.S.) we specify user types because
it helps us accomodate the users who will have the most trouble or make the
most mistakes.

I'm glad my example helped you understand where I'm trying to go with this
though.