Plasma User Types

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 15:29:21 CEST 2008

On Saturday 12 April 2008 14:58:26 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Saturday 12 April 2008 08:24:46 Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > >
> > > we are creating a framework upon which interfaces get built that
> > > get used by the "everyone" set, but the group we keep in mind
> > > while designing things does not need to be the "everyone" set.
> > > indeed, it can be rather focussed. where that focus gets applied
> > > is the purpose of this conversation.
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > thanks, Celeste and Aaron, for your clarifications. I'm still not
> > really convinced.
> >
> > My point is, that all user types are important and that I don't
> > really see the benefit of splitting them up. But I see dangers that
> > this splitting up bears.
> >
> > When we start to look isolated at the socialite, for example, we
> > will come up with personas and scenarios that may very well contain
> > a twitter applet, some facebook or myspace integration and many
> > other things. And if we do this, please excuse my strong words, we
> > would have been better of with just doing a KDE3.6. No one, never
> > ever, in his right mind never wants to use twitter, ever! People
> > want to communicate! We have to look at what the user is actually
> > trying to do. When we look at users in terms of their experience or
> > their background on Linux or Windows, we are already way too deep
> > entrenched in all the concepts that make current user interfaces so
> > wrong.
> >
> > My favorite way to clarify this is hanging up a picture. Say you
> > got that new Picasso for your dorm room and are driving a nail into
> > the wall as your roommate walks in and asks what you are doing,
> > standing on a ladder there. What do you say? - I'm putting this
> > picture up. No one would say: I'm using a hammer. Because a hammer
> > has a good user interface. The user doesn't even realize he uses
> > one. He is completely
> >
> > concentrated on doing, what he is actually trying to achieve. If
> > hammer designers went about as we do, they would create a docking
> > station for the hammer, customizable decals for the shaft and
> > exchangeable versatile heads, that make the hammer so fragile that
> > you cannot slam it, but have to tenderly pet the nail. Users would
> > be more occupied with their hammer, than with their actual task.
> > You are also not aware of the ladder, you just use it. Because it
> > has a good user interface. To use a KDE ladder, you'd probably have
> > to log in, and you'd have to reboot for every rung you wanted to
> > take.
>
> The use scenario is displaying a picture.  The use case is using the
> hammer and putting a nail in the wall so you can mount the picture on
> it.  The environment is a college dormitory which could have either
> cinder block or dry composite walls.
>
> Given a different environment, maybe a hammer isn't available and you
> only have to work with sticky tacks.  That probably happens more
> often in an environment like a dormitory than a house.  Of maybe you
> [...]

Hi Celeste,

thank you very much for taking the time to answer, also for writing it
down in a comprehensible way, like I could not have done it.

The only thing I'm still unwilling to accept is, that one has to leave
the old ladies behind. (how sad is that? :-) A sign of good design is
that it caters to 100% (which I like to simply refer to as: humans),
and only if one fails to come up with good design should one try to do
bad design, that at least appeals to 80%. That's all.

But I'm very stubborn, so don't waste your time trying to convince me,
and you seem to be knowing what you are doing, so I will not waste
mine, trying to convince you, when all it seems to be about is
methodology. We should continue this discussion when there's a report
and analysis to discuss. Until then I'm not going to pester you with
this matter anymore.

So thanks again for your time.

michael