of runners, API changes, future and world domination

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 04:45:55 CEST 2008

The more I think about it the more I think we need a new functionality
inside plugins other than match and exec. As well as extended information of
type.

For instance, the bookmark runner will take the input, search for that text
on konqueror bookmarks and return the urls that match, the matches when
executed will invoque the browser. So far so good.
But we will eventually have more functions available for web urls that just
open a browser with that. That functionality will be provided by other
plugins that will search for web url in the user input. Being so, if the
user write a text that happens to be in its bookmarks, he can get the URL
and the only option available will be browser. Instead if that same URL is
directly typed, all the actions (runners that match) for that kind of
information will be available. IMHO, this will only confuse users.

Also, we need extended type information.  To put an example, I`ve modified
(locally) the bookmark runner to also read the bookmarks of krdc and
konsole. So extra information should be added in the match as for konsole
bookmarks we surely are interested in konsole --workdir bookmark  or browse
it with dolphin.

I see the work that the bookmark runner do as extract information from the
user input and get extra meanful information usable by runners. In fact,
this idea can be extended to a generic "object recognition", using Strigi
and/or Nepomuk. In fact using Nepomuk we will get ontologies! That means the
types of information the runners work with will be the same than used
elsewhere. That means even further integration with the rest of the programs
and much more flexibility. I already sent and email to Trueg asking about
what he thinks about this and if Nepomuk can be too slow for krunner.

Aaron suggested some kind of hintting and delaying of hinted runners IIRC.
That may be a solution that preserve current interfaz but I`d like you to
consider further changes and get some discussion on the topic now that you
are meeting.

I hope my explanations were clear ... I really lack that virtue.

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST