Extenders, assembling plasmoids

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Apr 10 07:59:37 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:51:01PM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > Yes, there is a button at the top-right "edit" and you have several clocks,
> > world-clock, appointments and weather in one applet and probably more
> > possibilities (edit button).
>
> yeah, so.. that clock is, as per usual in that project, a hardcoded,
> purposebuilt set of hacks to make something neat come together than has no
> extensibility let alone future possibilities.
>
> it looks very nice, and it has a number of tie ins to things like the evo data
> service. now just try adding something else to it, or replacing eds as a
> backend ...
>
> honestly, this has *nothing* in common with extenders. it's the calendar we
> pop up when you click the calender with a few extra entries (e.g. timezones
> with a map, appointments)

Well, you can make something like that with extenders (I've never
actually used that worldclock thing, btw, but judging on the screenshots
I've seen). But with extenders all individual parts of that worldclock
thingy are detachable, and you could be able to add any extender item from
any source to it, so it's much more flexible. But you could certainly
create a clock applet which shows multiple timezones, a map, a calender and
a todo list in an extender... and the user could be able to just drag a
network monitor graph thingy from a system monitor applet to it and add
that to his 'world clock', if he likes... complete flexibility. :)
Hmm, I've got to come up with a better name for the items contained in
an extender btw. What about 'detachable widget'? I think that also
clearer from the user's point of view.

Rob Scheepmaker
(pinda)