KRunner behavior change

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 3 22:50:09 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 02 April 2008, Matej Svejda wrote:
> > i agree that the drop down box sucks. i left it there because i though
> > we'd have a new UI for this thing months ago and so didn't want to spend
> > too much time on it.
>
> How would that UI have handled completion and through-match navigation? As

probably by changing the search text completion to not use a drop down. just
epxlaining why i hadn't gotten to it yet

> > i don't think that would make a lot of sense as it would just make
> > different matches/runners behave differently from each other and/or make
> > the configuration overhead even greater.
> >
> > all to save a ctrl-c =)
>
> It's not just about copying, IMHO writing an InformationalRunner's result
> into the SearchTermBox when it is activated is good for the calculator but
> for the other runners it feels weird, unnatural.
> The normal usage of KRunner is: You type something until what you want
> shows up and then press enter and it disappears. But with this solution it
> just stays...

that's why we have Informational matches. this is precisely how they are
*intended* to work and why they are a separate type: they aren't meant to be
actionable items. if they are, they should be using a different type. the
dictionary lookup uses a non-informational match so it can copy to the
clipboard.

perhaps the misunderstanding here is over the meaning of "Informational"