KRunner behavior change

Matej Svejda mata at aw-modell.at
Wed Apr 2 17:21:31 CEST 2008

> that's why i pointed out that matches != queries. the completion box
> completes past *queries*, not matches. so, for instance, i might have
> typed:
I got that =) . I just thought that matches could be used as
kind-of-completion for queries... But you're right: Since KRunner is a "run
command" program it's not a good solution...

> i'd say simply setting the completion mode of the existing edit widget to
> KGlobalSettings::CompletionAuto or maybe KGlobalSettings::CompletionShell
> (i've never played with that one at all, tbh) should probably be enough and
> a lot easier to code than the hoops you've jumped though here =)
I had a quick look at that, will look closer into it in the evening and
report...

> i agree that the drop down box sucks. i left it there because i though we'd
> have a new UI for this thing months ago and so didn't want to spend too
> much time on it.
How would that UI have handled completion and through-match navigation? As it
seems to me to be the main problem that you can't easily (as in
one-key-press) navigate through completion and matches (both use tab).

> i don't think that would make a lot of sense as it would just make
> different matches/runners behave differently from each other and/or make
> the configuration overhead even greater.
>
> all to save a ctrl-c =)
It's not just about copying, IMHO writing an InformationalRunner's result into
the SearchTermBox when it is activated is good for the calculator but for the
other runners it feels weird, unnatural.
The normal usage of KRunner is: You type something until what you want shows
up and then press enter and it disappears. But with this solution it just
stays...

> that'd work. it would mean a little more work on behalf of the runner
> writers, but probably worth it, esp since the visible text is supposed to
> be translated and we probably don't want to use that.
>
> since several runners already use SearchMatch::data() as a way to store
> actionable information, perhaps we could extend the use of that as the
> unique id and require it to be set for ranking based on past selection to
> work?
Ok.

Matej