Minor issue with Panel corners

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Apr 3 11:16:37 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Should I write a bug report for this?
>
> that would be because it is using an svg that doesn't cover the whole panel
> (the black bit in the corner) but there isn't a composition manager (CM)
> running.

That is odd; I thought that I had everything in X11 set up correctly.
However, it only it only works with KDE4 if I set "Compositing type" to
"XRender" which isn't the default.

> the solution we have to this is providing svg's that do cover the full area of
> the widget in the opaque/ folder of the theme. i don't think we ship a file
> in opaque/widgets/panel-background.svg and so you get the one that really
> only works with a CM.
>
> solution: make a square edged svg and put it in opaque =)

Seriously, if we need this, I will make one tomorrow if I have time.

> what's cool is that if a CM appears at runtime, it will switch to the nice
> rounded edges svg automatically (without the panel even knowing =).. and if
> the CM disappears, it goes back to the opaque/ version. whee..

The TechBase isn't really clear about this.  It appears to say that it
is also possible to use a bit map that doesn't use anti-aliasing at the
edge and that this will be rendered correctly.  Is that correct?  If so,
perhaps a chamfered corner would look better.

--
JRT