[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 05:17:37 CEST 2007

Hi Riccardo,

The simplest answer is that the Kickoff works, now.  The aim was to
have an implementation of a tried and tested design which could ship
with Beta 3.

What I remember from the last IRC meeting and from talking to Siraj
was that Raptor was not going to be ready for the next beta
(originally due for tommorrow, now due next week).  I offered to
investigate Kickoff as a solution until then, and this is what I have
done.

> (and given that kickoff has seems
> to have some technical problems, speed is the main complaint actually from
> the guys using opensuse).

I did not discuss this in depth with others at Akademy although I have
heard Kickoff (KDE 3) described as "feeling heavy" in passing.  I
don't know exactly what the perceived problems are, but I get the
impression that they are implementation issues rather than a
fundamental design flaw.  I am happy to talk to OpenSuSE users and
developers for their opinions on the current Kickoff.
The big advantage here is that there are lots of users I can talk to
and seek opinions from.  There have been some small design changes
between the first version of Kickoff and the current version, and I
will look to incorporate those changes in the KDE 4 version.

To clarify again though, this is not the KDE 3 code ported we are
talking about, but a from-scratch implementation with KDE 4 / Qt 4
frameworks.

Regards,
Robert.