[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 25 00:20:24 CEST 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> As discussed at the last Plasma IRC meeting, I started work on a new
> Kickoff implementation using Qt 4 / KDE 4 frameworks.  The new
> implementation is currently functional (but not complete) with the
> exception of the search view.

aha! awesome! i just checked it out and will be playing with it later today

> * Integrating this with the desktop so that it can be launched by
> pressing a panel button

i just looked and it's still all qwidgets. this REALLY needs to be ported to
QGraphicsItems. we can get away with it being qwidgets if absolutely required
for 4.0, but it will make showing it on the desktop not possible (without
some stupid hacks that i'm really not prepared to do).

of course, it uses QAbstractItemModel fairly extensively. and
QAbstractItemView IsA QWidget, so to make this really work we'd need to
create something like a QGraphicsModelViewItem ;) which would connect to the
various signals from QAbstractItemModel to show things.

a fair amount of work indeed. *sigh*

in the meantime, the Quick Route is to make a button that pops up a top level
window at the correct screen coordinates showing the widget. we can port
things from there as time permits and the user should hopefully not notice as
we do so, aside from the components actually working properly on the desktop
(e.g. on the desktop, it shouldn't show the button you click but actually
show the entire interface)

> * Making use of the KRunner 'runners' in the search view to avoid
> duplication there.

i'm not sure AbstractRunner is what is needed there, to be honest. it may make
more sense (from a use case perspective) to simply speak xesam.

> * Artwork.  The current code is missing the custom tab styling that
> Kickoff/KDE 3 had.  If the artists are interested, then we ought to
> discuss the aesthetics with them.

yes, we can easily do that.