[Panel-devel] Kickoff / KDE 4

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:16:14 CEST 2007

Hello,

As discussed at the last Plasma IRC meeting, I started work on a new
Kickoff implementation using Qt 4 / KDE 4 frameworks.  The new
implementation is currently functional (but not complete) with the
exception of the search view.

I have just committed the initial code drop into
playground/base/kickoff-rewrite-kde4

It currently builds as a standalone application ('kickoff') for
testing although it should no doubt be made available as a desktop
applet for Plasma/Kicker.

Things to discuss:

* Integrating this with the desktop so that it can be launched by
pressing a panel button
* Making use of the KRunner 'runners' in the search view to avoid
duplication there.
* Artwork.  The current code is missing the custom tab styling that
Kickoff/KDE 3 had.  If the artists are interested, then we ought to
discuss the aesthetics with them.

Regards,
Robert.