[Panel-devel] SvgWidget

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Sep 22 21:20:48 CEST 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Petri Damsten wrote:
> I have made generic SvgWidget that can also act as a meter. It's in
> playground/plasma/widgets/svgwidget. Do you think this could be part of the
> default widgets in plasma libs?

i think so, yes. however, there are a number of things we need to work out
first =)

i'm not comfortable with the pushbutton mode; we have a push button widget
already. if we *must* have an svg based version of a button that's where it
should go. i'm still not convinced we need it, to be honest, but if we do
it's a feature to add to Plasma::PushButton. i haven't removed the PushButton
functionality yet, as i don't like doing such "destructive" changes without
consensus first =)

i've added an updated() slot so it can be used with DataEngines properly.

i've also changed Mode to MeterType. i almost wonder if this class should be
just called Plasma::Meter? there is already QGraphicsSvgItem, which we could
easily wrap a Plasma::Widget around if need-be.

the apidox need to be a bit more verbose in areas, particularly the setMode
doc where it should note that setSvg gets called automatically for the meters
with the proper default values. (preventing people from thinking they have to
call setSvg always after calling setMeterType)..

the Plasma::Svg object was leaking, assigning a parent to it solves that
problem, however.

so what would be left at this point is mostly just deciding on the push button
feature and if we are going to remove it (which i think we should) do so. and
then we can move it into libplasma.