[Panel-devel] kickoff delegate painting

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 31 14:38:44 CET 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, Robert Knight wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
> I quite agree on the need to work on Kickoff's presentation.  My
> current plan with respect to the delegate is to try Dolphin's item
> drawing style.

awesome =)

> However, as I discussed with you previously, I found the "bold text on
> mouse over" effect to be unusable.  Frederick echoed this view as
> well.  The current drawing is "safe" (in the sense that it is known to
> be usable by everyone) if not beautiful.

here's the rub: it's not so much more or less usable with either option that
it warrants the ugly factor the current drawing brings. iow, the uglyness is
greater than the usability gain in this case. we can do much better, you seem
to be headed there with the above comment which puts me at greater ease.

> > particularly when the rest of it is pretty nice at this point...
>
> There I disagree.  The panel background is still my poor programmer
> art which I knocked up on what was my first venture into inkscape.

"the rest" == "the rest of kickoff"

> Even within Kickoff there are much more important things to sort out
> as far as the presentation is concerned, such as the tab style
> (including a clearer differentiation between the current tab and the
> others) and the background - especially the edges of the launcher
> widget, as you mentioned.

honestly, these are all even less visually noticeable than the current
selection drawing.

> The launcher button is currently just the
> KDE logo, I'm sure there must be something better that can be done
> there.

well, it's the start icon, which is already easier for people to customize
than kmenu.png ;) but yeah, we can do as we did with the kmenu in kicker

> For that, what I would like to happen is for artistically inclined
> people to create mockups and hopefully if good ideas come up I can
> implement them.

yeah, this was already the solution talked about on irc. i just wanted to make
it very clear, however, that we will not ship with the current painting if
this doesn't happen =)

p.s. do you still have that "traditional" kmenu kick around on your hard disk
somewhere? i ask just because if not, i'll end up whipping something up
myself ...